Roof COLOR – Why important?
Emissivity – the ability of a surface to emit radiant energy compared to that of a black body at the same temperature and with the same area.
Reflect(ivity) – to cast back (light, heat, sound, etc.) from a surface: The mirror reflected the light onto the wall.
Basically – the darker the color – the more radiant energy or heat will be absorbed by the material. This heat will transfer through the roof deck making the temperature of your attic increase. The hotter your attic – the hotter your house – and the more you pay on energy bills.
GOAL: low emissivity and high reflective properties in a roofing material.
NOT EVERYONE WANTS A WHITE ROOF!
What else can you do to increase energy efficiency?
- Increase the amount of insulation in your attic.
- Increase the amount of ventilation in your attic. (See the picture – the more ventilation the more hot air escapes and is replaced by cooler outside air.)
- Add a Radiant Barrier in your attic. (See FAQ section on Radiant Barrier for more information)
- Choose a roofing material that has a natural insulation between the roofing product and the roof deck; such as concrete roof tile; or clay roof tile. (See FAQ section on Roof Decks)
- Some homeowners have chosen to roof the front of their house that they see from the street with a dark color; and the back of the house that gets hit by the sun (south facing) with a lighter color.
- Choose a lighter color material based on high reflective properties and low emissivity by going to the Cool Roof Rating Council website at http://www.coolroofs.org/. Browse the list of “Rated Products” and choose a product that fits your cosmetic and energy efficient desires.
- Add PV solar panels to lower energy bills.
Here at Brazil Quality Roofing, Inc. we want you to know your options – so your new roof will not only be beautiful but energy efficient.